ASCVD patient journey and understanding of risk factors
Alberico L. Catapano, Milan, discusses the journey of ASCVD patients and the understanding of risk factors in this pre-recorded webinar, which has been hosted and developed by Viatris.
Alberico L. Catapano
Alberico L. Catapano is a Full Professor of Pharmacology and Director of the Center of Epidemiology and Preventive Pharmacology at the University of Milan, as well as Director of the Laboratory of Lipoproteins, Immunity and Atherosclerosis and the Center for the Study of Atherosclerosis at Bassini Hospital, and at Multimedica IRCCS Milan, Italy.
His main research interests include the study of atherosclerosis, lipids, lipoproteins and genetic dyslipidaemias, and he has made landmark observations regarding heat shock proteins and pentraxins in atherogenesis, on high-density lipoproteins in the modulation of the immune response, and on the identification of possible therapeutic targets by exploiting genetic information.
This webinar was a part of the CVM connect on-demand webinar series recorded in 2022.
Speaker: Alberico L. Catapano MD, PhD
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Title of the session: ASCVD patient journey and understanding of risk factors
- To understand the whole journey of ASCVD progression
- To understand the concept of risk factor estimation and how to lower the risk
- To understand the role of lipid-lowering agents in ASCVD reduction
- Lowering LDL is crucial to ASCVD prevention both in primary and secondary prevention1
- Timing of intervention is crucial, the LDL reduction needed may be seen as a function of time of exposure and burden2
- Future approaches will allow a more informed classification of individuals and of their susceptibility to disease2
LDL, Low-density lipoprotein; ASCVD, Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease
- Mach F, Baigent C, Catapano AL, et al. 2019 ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk. Eur Heart J. 2020;41(1) 111-188.
- Ference BA, Graham I, Tokgozoglu L, Catapano AL. Impact of Lipids on Cardiovascular Health: JACC Health Promotion Series. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018;72(10):1141-1156.